Программирование после 40 лет
От: &reY Украина http://www.livejournal.com/~1000turov/
Дата: 02.03.05 18:38
Оценка: 32 (5)
The value of experienced coders
http://www.red-gate.com/other/coder_opinion.htm

самое интересное

You simply reach a point where there is no hope of any salary increase beyond the normal cost of living adjustments, no matter how capable you are as a software developer.

I got to thinking about all of this when I read a column in the January 2005 issue of Software Development magazine by Howard Adamsky, titled Save Your Job. (Note that this link requires a paid subscription). His basic points can be summarized as follows:

Do not plan to write code for your entire career.
    Learn to communicate effectively.
    Develop people skills.
    Move into the "people" part of the business.
    Learn how to sell.
    Consider consulting.

There's little future for someone who only programs. Code is a commodity that can be created by other people for less money – much less. Think of coding as the beginning of a career – a great place to start, but not what you want to do for your entire professional existence.

Many years ago, I would hear about a problem a user was having with one of my programs and I would often say "that is impossible." Fortunately, I've worked in organizations that did testing by watching what the user is doing via two-way mirrors. I've seen the impossible happen. I hope that in the last 10 years or so, I have become wise enough to never say something is impossible, but rather to say "I have not seen that, but let's step through exactly what you are doing."

I firmly believe that much of bad software comes from a lack of imagination over how software might be used in ways different than those we anticipate. While our industry should not underestimate the value of a newly minted computer science graduate's enthusiasm, it should also not underestimate the value of a somewhat less enthusiastic, but seasoned, interested and experienced coder.

We do a disservice to users of our software when we encourage coders to leave the field when they become experienced, and force the real superstars into management if they want to advance.

Подождите ...
Wait...
Пока на собственное сообщение не было ответов, его можно удалить.